Associate-Engineer, Accounting Methods and Credits | Chicago Winter 2023
Requisition #: 77963
Practice Area: Tax
Job Type: Early Career
Start Season & Start Year: Winter 2023
Earliest Graduation Date: Dec 2021
Latest Graduation Date: Dec 2022
Apply Deadline Date: May 31, 2022
Location: Chicago, IL
At KPMG, you can become an integral part of a dynamic team at one of the world's top tax firms. Enjoy a collaborative, future-forward culture that empowers your success. Work with KPMG's extensive network of specialists & enjoy access to our Ignition Centers, where deep industry knowledge merges with cutting-edge technologies to create innovative tax solutions. Join a diverse team helping high-profile clients understand, analyze, and respond to complex business opportunities and challenges. Develop your career through a range of multifaceted engagements, formal training, and informal mentoring.
At KPMG, we believe nothing is more important than investing in our culture because it's an investment in our people, our future, and what we stand for as a firm.
KPMG is currently seeking an Associate-Engineer for our Accounting Methods and Credits Services (AMCS) - Engineering team.
Our team is seeking a candidate with a technical science or engineering background to work with our existing teams of degreed engineers, accountants, and attorneys to utilize their technical expertise to deliver consulting services focused on identifying, calculating, and documenting various federal and state tax incentives that our clients may be eligible to claim due to the nature of their business and the related technical activities therein. Additionally, our team uses a variety of innovative technology platforms to deliver results to our clients.
- Execute fieldwork on-site at client locations and review of activities and expenditures pertaining to various types of facilities, such as manufacturing plants, headquarter buildings, laboratories, stadiums, corporate campuses and data centers
- Prepare for, participate/lead and take detailed notes during in-depth technical interviews with client subject matter experts in order to learn about the nature of their activities/projects in order to determine the appropriate tax treatment of related expenses; such interviews will be with our client scientists, engineers, software developers, architects, other various technical specialists, tax, accounting and finance personnel
- Analyze and organize technical documents (design documents, technical/functional specifications, business requirements, experimental trial data, test plans/logs/reports and other technical materials) provided by client subject matter experts related to technical interviews and fieldwork
- Complete quantitative (numerical calculation models) and qualitative (technical memorandums) analyses to identify and evaluate tax treatment of expenditures based upon the nature of their associated activities as identified during technical interviews, fieldwork and review of technical documentation
- Work with KPMG technology teams to help define/create innovative software, processes and solutions, to better serve our clients and maximize the value of our services into the future; areas of focus may include use of Alteryx, data and analytics platforms, robotic process automation, artificial intelligence (IBM Watson) and data visualization (Power BI)
- Must be pursuing and have obtained by the start date or have completed the following degrees/majors in the past 12 months: Bachelor's or Master's degree in Architecture, Computer Sciences, Engineering, Construction Management, or related field from an accredited college/university
- Coursework or minor in finance, accounting, business, or data and analytics preferred
- Must have a current/most recent GPA of 3.00 or above
- Demonstrated strong technical aptitude, critical thinking skills, ability to multi-task daily and ability to operate MS Office applications, (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Experience in Alteryx and Power BI is a plus
- Excellent communication, time management and leadership skills; flexible and adaptable team player; and resourceful in delivering high quality work
- Ability to travel and/or work on-site at client premises as needed, at times with relatively short notice
- Tax professionals may have the opportunity to work virtually/remotely within the U.S. depending on business needs
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. without the need for employment-based visa sponsorship now or in the future
KPMG LLP (the U.S. member firm of KPMG International) offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package. KPMG is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer. KPMG complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding recruitment and hiring. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. The attached link contains further information regarding the firm's compliance with federal, state and local recruitment and hiring laws. No phone calls or agencies please.
At KPMG, any partner or employee must be fully vaccinated or test negative for COVID-19 in order to go to any KPMG office, client site or KPMG event. In some circumstances, individuals who are not fully vaccinated may also be required to have a reasonable accommodation to not be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.